The once 120-foot high (but pollarded to a travesty of its former grandeur after heart-wood fungus was diagnosed) lime tree within the boundary was there when the ground, then known as the Beverley ground, was created in 1847 and is thought to have been about 185 years old. Only four people have ever scored a six by hitting over the top of the tree - Colonel A.C. 'Jacko' Wilson in 1922, Learie Constantine in 1928, Jim Smith in 1939, and Carl Hooper in 1992. It was finally destroyed by storms on the night of the 7th of January 2005.
Ground is subject to a cold wind from the North Sea on all but the sunniest days.
A major redevelopment was planned,fell victim to the credit crunch, but has now taken place. Grass has grown over the worst-affected areas. Many of the perimeter trees have been removed, giving improved views of Canterbury Cathedral, but unfortunately also improved views of Kent and Canterbury Hospital. The views have also been enhanced by five massive floodlighting pylons. At least this should stop any repetition of the farce when a floodlit match was called off because of fears that the temporary lighting might blow down.
The square was relaid, three pitches per year, after criticism that Canterbury pitches were becoming soporific. It seems to have been effective. The Kent-Essex game in 2011 took just over two days and Kent were docked eight points for "inconsistent bounce".
|Admission Charges / Advanced Sales||Adult||Juniors|
|County Championship||20.00 / 15.00||10.00 / 5.00|
|One-Day Cup||25.00 / 20.00||10.00 / 5.00|
|Twenty20||30.00 / 25.00||10.00 / 7.00|
Match Information - Beckenham
Tel: 0203 499 2379